[R-sig-Debian] In odbcDriverConnect ODBC connection failed

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Aug 12 15:47:00 CEST 2009

On 12 August 2009 at 13:23, Luis Ridao Cruz wrote:
| R-sig-Debian help,
|
| I have installed an ODBC Driver for Linux.
|
| I want to connect to our database through R via:
|
| >library(RODBC)
| >con <- odbcDriverConnect("SERVER=IP_address:PORT;DRIVER=ORACLE;DATABASE=MAGNUS")
| Warning message:
| In odbcDriverConnect("SERVER=IP_address:PORT;DRIVER=ORACLE;DATABASE=MAGNUS") :
|   ODBC connection failed
|
| I don't really know whether this is the right syntax. I copy-paste files "odbc.ini" and "odbcinst.ini":
|
| ## file odbc.ini
| [ORACLE]
| Driver        = ORACLE
| Database        = //IP_address:PORT/MAGNUS
| User        = my_username
| Password        = my_password
| METADATA_ID        = 0
| ENABLE_USER_CATALOG        = 1
| ENABLE_SYNONYMS        = 1
|
| ## file odbcinst.ini
| [ORACLE]
| Description        = Easysoft ODBC Oracle Driver
| Driver        = /usr/local/easysoft/oracle/libesoracle.so
| Setup        = /usr/local/easysoft/oracle/libesoraclesetup.so
| DontDLClose        = 1
| FileUsage        = 1
| UsageCount        = 1

I only briefly worked with Oracle and as I recall you needed another layer of
naming indirection.

You may want to test the basics of RODBC with an ODBC-driven db you can
control (mysql, postgresql, sqlite, ...) to ensure that that part works, and
then try to work out the Oracle specific bits, maybe with help from r-sig-db.