[R-sig-Debian] Now it comes downgrade or install two R versions under Linux

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Aug 11 14:22:55 CEST 2009

On 11 August 2009 at 12:50, Luis Ridao Cruz wrote:
| R-sig-Debian help,
|
| Yesterday I sought help regarding R upgrading from R-2.8.1 to R-2.9.1.
| I must thank specially Dirk for his helpful advice.
|
| But now I am facing a dilemma. I want to install a package called FLR which
| works under R-2.8.1.

Details please. What is FLR? Where is coming from? Can you install from
source?  Why would it be restricted to R 2.8.1?

If this is FLR from the flr-project.org site, then you can try the _sources_
from r-forge:  https://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=318

| So my question is whether I can keep the latest release (R-2.9.1)
| and also install R-2.8.1 (and if feasible how.)

Not via the package management system which can provide exactly one
package. You could install another version locally from source in /usr/local/
but that may be more trouble that it is worth.

| Alternatively I could uninstall R-2.9.1 and just install R-2.8.1 but as the
| package installation is usually on-line it might cause conflicts among
| packages and R releases?

I'd discuss with the FLR folks how to get their package (released or from
r-forge) working with R 2.9.1 on Debian..

Hth, Dirk