[R-sig-Debian] Thanks for the lenny-cran AMD64 ports

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Sat Apr 25 14:24:07 CEST 2009

Hi all,

r-cran-boot is an architecture independent package,

* Piet Plomp <piet at bioinf.nl> [090425 11:40]:

> Hi Kouros,
>
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 07:06:59PM -0400, Kouros Owzar wrote:
> > Hi.

> > Why is it that r-cran-boot from lenny (not lenny-cran) is installed
> >
> > hotelling:~$ apt-cache policy r-cran-boot
> > r-cran-boot:
> >   Installed: 1.2.33-1
> >   Candidate: 1.2.33-1
> >   Version table:
> >      1.2.36-1 0
> >         600 http://debian.lcs.mit.edu unstable/main Packages
> >      1.2.36-1~lennycran.2.9.0 0
> >         625 http://cran.fhcrc.org lenny-cran/ Packages
> >  *** 1.2.33-1 0
> >         750 http://debian.lcs.mit.edu lenny/main Packages
> >         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

and it is present on CRAN, as can be seen from the above.

> > I had been under the assumption (this may reflect my rather limited
> > understanding of APT) that r-recommended from lenny-cran would
> > automatically pull the recommended packages (e.g., survival, boot, etc)
> > from lenny-cran.

I don't use versioned dependencies in the backports. However, generally
the higher version number would be given preference (based on my also
limited understanding of apt, as it sometimes still surprises me).
Possibly you have something in your /etc/apt/preferences, or maybe you
even used tagging when installing r-cran-boot?

Just thoughts... Anyway if it is not /etc/apt/preferences causing this
behavior, you can probably still just

apt-get install -t lenny-cran r-cran-boot.

Johannes