[R-sig-Debian] Are there Debian/Ubuntu packages of the betaversions of R-2.9.0

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Mon Apr 6 05:32:48 CEST 2009

Le dim. 05 avr. à 21:53, Paul Leo a écrit :

> Thankyou Dirk,
> That was a great summary I think I understand the philosophy now. I
> will
> go move forward with compiling the source code with caution.

(Phew, shouldn't have been away today! Sorry folks, but I'll sort of
reply to many messages at once.)

First, Paul, if you want to compile R on Ubuntu from the Debian
sources, you'll want to use or, at least, have a look at my build
scripts located at:

	https://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/svn/R/cran-ubuntu/

(This is the public svn repository Dirk was referring to.) The
important one is build-r-base.sh; the script makes all the
modifications to the Debian sources needed to compile on Ubuntu
releases from Dapper to Intrepid and then launches the build process.

Regarding the distribution of binary packages of beta versions of R
for Ubuntu, I fully agree with Michael.

I also think Doug's proposal to distribute patched sources is a nice
compromise. That said, I'm not too sure which files I should make
available. Dirk may confirm that the needed files would be, for example:

	r-base_2.9.0~20090327-1intrepid0.diff.gz
	r-base_2.9.0~20090327-1intrepid0.dsc
	r-base_2.9.0~20090327-1intrepid0_i386.changes
	r-base_2.9.0~20090327.orig.tar.gz

I never noticed at which stage of the build process the first three
files are created. Is it possible to create them without fully
compiling the package?

Cheers,

Vincent