[R-sig-Debian] Are there Debian/Ubuntu packages of the betaversions of R-2.9.0

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Sun Apr 5 14:36:01 CEST 2009

If we make the beta debs of R available for Ubuntu, I think they
should be in a separate repository, as not to be pushed to people
uncomfortable with beta software.  If we went down this path, we could
also limit ourselves to the latest Ubuntu release as well as the
latest long term service release versions of Ubuntu.

I do not use bioconductor, so I have to ask how many packages are
built in the approximately one month period the R beta is available
for public release?   I visited the web site, and there is a devel
branch.  Are all of those packages built against R 2.9?

My personal opinion is that we should not follow the google definition
of beta, and reserve the tag for testing purposes.  If you want to
test the beta version, there should be a minimum amount of "expertise"
required for entry.  For Ubuntu, having to compile from source could
be that bar.  We could supply directions on how to build from the deb
source packages.  It would probably need a script that makes the
corrections needed to compile under Ubuntu.

Just my thoughts,
Michael