[R-sig-Debian] Are there Debian/Ubuntu packages of the beta versions of R-2.9.0

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Apr 4 18:01:18 CEST 2009

On 4 April 2009 at 10:44, Douglas Bates wrote:
| I embarrassed to need to ask this but I haven't seen any announcements
| yet of Debian or Ubuntu builds of R-2.9.0 now that it has gone to beta
| status.  Am I just not looking in the right place?

Probably :)

Try

	 http://changelog.debian.net/r-base

	 http://packages.qa.debian.org/r/r-base.html

and as with all of the releases since going back to 1.4 (!!) when you and I
started this pattern, pre-releases are being made available with the start of
the alpha releases.  I mostly stick to a weekly schedule, and hence have made
March 20 and 27 releases and am building one based of yesterday's April 3
tarball as we speak.

Vincent and Michael actually follow these and have already tested Ubuntu
builds based on these 2.9.0 pre-releases, but we tend not to upload those to
CRAN.  Comments from interested parties as to whether we should upload these
or not are welcome.  With my "using-these-Ubuntu-package-for-real-at-work" hat
on, I'd say sticking to releases is fine for Ubuntu.  "Normally" you can just
say 'apt-get source' pointing to Debian unstable source; but with the recent
Debian release there are a few minor policy changes that require a minor
patch on a current Ubuntu system. I believe Vincent has those patches in a
public svn...

Hth, Dirk