[R-sig-Debian] multiple versions on ubuntu

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Mon Sep 1 15:12:18 CEST 2008

Jeff,

Sorry for the delay, but your email appeared in my mailbox today (Sept 1).

This is a 64bit issue, which may or may not be unique to Ubuntu (I have
never used an other 64bit distro).  It turns out that /usr/lib64 is
directory that links to /usr/lib, so R thinks all of the directories are
installed twice, but there is only one version on your machine.  Why
there are two directories, I don't know.  My guess is that some code
looks in /usr/lib64, other in /usr/lib knowing it is a 64bit system.

It is annoying on the R end of things, but necessary for the system.

Hope this helps,
Michael