[R-sig-Debian] Auto-upgrade to R-2.8.0-1 in Etch

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Thu Oct 30 20:58:50 CET 2008

Hi Ted,

* tyler <tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca> [081030 10:40]:
> (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> > My Debian 4.0 Etch (installed Sep 2007, R version 2.7.1 (2008-06-23)
> > installed at the same time from a Debian repo) has just flashed

R 2.7.1 was installed on etch from "a Debian repo"? Since the candidate
packages you listed are the packages I just published on CRAN, you seem to have
a CRAN mirror in your /etc/apt/sources.list, so I strongly suspect that your R
2.7.1 is from CRAN as well.

> > up that I can update
> >
> > Are there any known gotchas up there? And, if it should happen that
> > something goes wrong, can I revert to my current installation
> > straightforwardly?
>
> As a general rule, I update to the latest r packages as soon as they're
> ready, without problems. If you're really nervous about it, wait a few
> more days and see if any of the bolder users report problems to this
> list.

I am also used to upgrading to each new version - changes in R can be seen from
the News files from R 2.7.2 and R 2.8.0, and the packages usually only add or
improve features. If you should run into problems, I have the old R 2.7.1
packages in a subversion archive, so I could supply them to you in case the
need arises, so you have the option to downgrade.

In case you don't want any change at all, just get rid of the CRAN entry
in your /etc/apt/sources.list.

Johannes