[R-sig-Debian] Moving from 2.7.1 to 2.8.0, advice on removing old version

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Tue Oct 28 19:14:08 CET 2008

Michael,

I have no problem using the following on my eee pc to get the latest
version of R:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get clean

The last command "apt-get clean" removes any package files that are
being stored in the local repository.  If it needs those packages again,
apt will just download them.  You may want to run clean first, to clear
up some disk space.

Or you can just use synaptic or other gui front end for apt.  In
synaptic, under Settings -> Preferences there is a "Files" tab which
contains a delete cached package files button, which will also free up
disk space.  On the eee pc, you may want to select the "Delete
downloaded package after installation button."  This will save some space.

Hope this helps,
Michael