[R-sig-Debian] Rdevices.h is not Included in Recent Packages

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Nov 11 12:12:37 CET 2008

On 11 November 2008 at 14:22, Ben Woodcroft wrote:
| I am trying to install RSRuby (http://rubyforge.org/projects/rsruby/) which
| somewhat analogous to RPy.
|
| Installation fails using the cran R 2.8.0 packages for Ubuntu Intrepid
| because RDevices.h does not appear to be included in the r-cran-core package
| as it was previously. It is in the rbase_2.8.0.orig.tar.gz in the same
| directory meaning it hasn't been taken out of R altogether, and I couldn't
| find it in any other packages in the same directory.

Correct, but that is something you need to tell R Core via the R-devel
mailing list!  R upstream decided to no longer export these headers.  It is
not simply a deliberate ploy on our end, or even a bug or oversight.

We (as in the packagers) where bitten by the same issue for rpy, rkward, ...
Rpy at least doesn't actually use the header, so all we had to do was to
remove the (now-offending) #include for RDevices.h.

| A quick check suggests the same problem exists for the Debian Etch packages
| also.
|
| As a workaround, I've downgraded to the official Ubuntu Intrepid repository
| version, 2.7.1-2, which does include Rdevices.h in r-base-core.

That won't help you going forward as it looks like RDevices.h is not coming
back.