[R-sig-Debian] R under Ubuntu 8.10 / Wine

Wilson, Andrew eiaaw at exchange.lancs.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 11:22:34 CET 2008

It looks as if installing R under Ubuntu 8.10 is going to be much more
complicated than I thought it was going to be.

I hadn't realized that it would depend on installing so many other
packages (about 23, it seems), many of which also have their own
dependencies.

So I wondered whether all of these are really essential, and whether
there is a single package anywhere that includes them all for a one-off
download?  (As I mentioned before, my home computer is not an
internet-connected machine, and I download files for installation to my
pen drive at work.)

I'm also wondering whether it might be easier simply to copy across my
Windows version of R and run it with WINE.  Has anyone tried this?  Does
it work?

Thanks,

Andrew Wilson