[R-sig-Debian] Problem Updating from 2.71 to 2.8 in Ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Nov 4 05:25:16 CET 2008

On 3 November 2008 at 22:48, sam mcquillin wrote:
| I have recently installed Ubuntu (8.10) Intrepid Ibex and I am trying to get
| R version 2.8. I have changed my /etc/apt/sources.list file to include a
| mirror. I have also added the Vincent Goulet key. However, whenever I run
|
|    sudo apt-get update
|    sudo apt-get install r-base
|
| it installs version 2.71. Given that I am new to Ubuntu, is there
| anything that I need to do to make ubuntu get the file from my
| selected repository? It appears that when I install r-base Ubuntu
| is taking it from another repository. I should also note that within
| the Synaptic Package Manager the 2.71 version of R is the r-base that
| appears, despite my repository appearing correct in the drop down box
| from
|  settings (under the 3rd party software tab). I am relatively new to
| Ubuntu, so help that explicitly details instructions would be greatly
| appreciated.
| Below is a portion of my output from both of the above commands. The
| mirror I am trying to download from is
| http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/CRAN/,
| as can be seen in the first part of the output.

As you are not getting the CRAN builds you want, I suspect that the mirror
you use is out of sync.  For what it's worth, this one works for me

    deb http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu intrepid/

Add this, run 'sudo apt-get update' and 'apt-cache policy r-base' and you should see
a version 2.8.0-1hardy1 as being available.

Hth, Dirk