[R-sig-Debian] Problems when installing RODBC in debian etch

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jun 27 13:24:27 CEST 2008

On 27 June 2008 at 08:28, griera at gmail.com wrote:
| Hi:
|
| A Divendres 27 Juny 2008 04:14, Dirk Eddelbuettel va escriure:
| > On 26 June 2008 at 18:14, griera at gmail.com wrote:
| > | but, when I tried to load it using library(RODBC) I get the following
| error:
| > | 	> library(RODBC) Error in Sys.localeconv()$decimal_point :
| > |
| > | 	$ operator is invalid for atomic vectors
| > | 	Error : .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'RODBC'
| > | 	Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RODBC'
| > |
| > | What I'm doing wrong? Thanks a lot.
| >
| > It looks like the package and your R version are out of sync.  What R
| > version are you using?  Did you get it from Debian like r-cran-rodbc ?
|
| The version of the packages is:
| 	r-base-core 2.7.1-1~etchcran.0
| 	r-cran-rodbc 1.1.7-1 1.1.7-1

Ah, yes, "it is our fault" -- you are using the new R via the CRAN repos
(which is the Right Thing if you want newer R).

But it turns out that that version is no longer compatible with the RODBC
version in Debian etch.  In Debian testing and unstable, we are at RODBC
1.2.3-1.

| I have installed the package with the command:
| 	$ sudo apt-get install r-cran-rodbc
| In the sources.list I have (in this order):
| 	deb http://cran.cict.fr/bin/linux/debian etch-cran/
| 	deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
| 	deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
| This is OK?

It is, it is just that "we" are trying to help by offering a newer R, yet are
conflicting with the older RODBC.

It really is a problem with the older Debian etch.  So you do need to rebuild
RODBC, either build your own r-cran-rodbc from sources (so you would take the
sources from current Debian and rebuild on your machine) or use R's
facilities -- whichever you are most familiar with.

| Thanks a lot. G Riera

Thanks for your patience, Dirk