[R-sig-Debian] Problems when installing RODBC in debian etch

griera at gmail.com griera at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:20:18 CEST 2008

Hello:

I am tried to install the RODBC package in debian etch. At the end of the
installation it appears errors:

* Installing *source* package 'RODBC' ...
checking for gcc...
gcc -std=gnu99
checking for C compiler default output file name...
a.out
checking whether the C compiler works...
yes
checking whether we are cross compiling...
no
checking for suffix of executables...
checking for suffix of object files...

checking for stdint.h...
yes
checking for unistd.h...
yes
checking sql.h usability...
no
checking sql.h presence...
no
checking for sql.h...
no
checking sqlext.h usability...
no
checking sqlext.h presence...
no
checking for sqlext.h...
no
configure: error: "ODBC headers sql.h and sqlext.h not found"
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RODBC'
** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/RODBC'
The downloaded packages are in
/tmp/RtmpOnB5P3/downloaded_packages
Warning message:
In install.packages(pkgs = c("RODBC"), lib
= "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library", :
installation of package 'RODBC' had non-zero exit status

And the package is not installed.
I am using the repositorios of:
        deb http://cran.cict.fr/bin/linux/debian etch-cran/
From the debian official repositorios I have installed the package:
        odbcinst1debian1
I have the same problem if instead of odbcinst1debian1 I install unixodbc

Somebody knows which is the problem and the solution?

Thank you for your help

G Riera