[R-sig-Debian] Ubuntu html help pages missing

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jun 19 23:46:31 CEST 2008

Hi Naras,

On 19 June 2008 at 14:14, Balasubramanian Narasimhan wrote:
| I don't see any way to install the html help pages for R version 2.7.x
| or 2.6.2 on Ubuntu (Hardy)  without rebuilding.  I don't use html
| myself, but there is a problem when someone else does:
|
| ?lm  ## help works
| help.start()   ## fires up browser
| ?lm  ## no longer works becuase it is looking for (missing) html help
| pages to show in browser
|
| I searched for r-doc packages but could not find anything.  Am I
| overlooking anything?

Quite possibly. These three contain the manuals [1]:

edd at ron:~$ wajig search r-doc- | grep "^r-doc"
r-doc-html - GNU R html manuals for statistical computing system
r-doc-info - GNU R info manuals statistical computing system
r-doc-pdf - GNU R pdf manuals for statistical computing system

whereas these two contain the extra docs from R's 'base' section.
edd at ron:~$ wajig search r-base- | grep doc
r-base-html - GNU R html docs for statistical computing system functions
r-base-latex - GNU R LaTeX docs for statistical computing system functions

Installing just 'r-base' should give you everything just like, say, R on
'doze.  Seems like you found the rope to hang yourself: r-base-core  ;-)

Say Hi to Russ Albery for me. I hear they provide R on Ubuntu centrally for
you guys now which is tres cool.

Dirk

[1] wajig is a very useful  wrapper around dpkg, apt-*, aptitude, dselect, ...
Highly recommended. It's author even turned from Python to R.