[R-sig-Debian] redrawing X11 devices

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Fri Jul 11 23:46:39 CEST 2008

Hi,

One thing that has always puzzled me using R, via Emacs/ESS on Debian,
is how the graphics windows get (or don't get) redrawn. At the moment
I've got four different X11() windows open, arranged to all fit on the
screen at the same time. However, I have no idea how to get them all
redrawn consistently. What I mean is, if I now switch focus from my main
Emacs window to one of the graphics windows, it may be just an empty
(white) box. If it does redraw, switching focus to another window may
clear it, and I end up playing all kinds of games to get all four
windows visible, including their contents, at the same time.

I hope that makes some sense. Does anyone know a way to work around
this? I'm not sure if there's something I should be doing differently
(i.e., PEBKAC [1]), or some configuration of R or X or Emacs -- any
suggestions welcome!

I'm running Lenny with Fluxbox, the latest versions of all pertinent
packages in the repositories as of an update yesterday, except Emacs
which I installed myself (22.2.1) and ESS which I installed from the svn
repository (5.3.8).

Thanks!

Tyler

[1] http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19980506&mode=classic

--
The purpose of models is not to fit the data but to sharpen the questions.
                                       --Samuel Karlin