[R-sig-Debian] R-SIG-Debian Digest, Vol 35, Issue 1

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Jul 6 22:56:54 CEST 2008

On 06-Jul-08 20:07:44, Tomas Radivoyevitch wrote:
> I just gave this a test drive and a drawback I found was that
> the paste is no longer ctrl-shift-v (i.e. close enough to ctrl-v
> that I can get used to it) but rather shift-insert.
>
> Does anyone know if there any other drawbacks to this xterm approach?

In Linux (when your windowing system is X-windows, as is standard)
the easiest way to copy&paste text between windows is

a) Use the mouse (holding down the left button) to define the
   block of text you want to copy from one window;[1]
b) Having released the mouse button, move the mouse to the window
   you want to copy into (if necessary, left-click once to "raise"
   that window);[3]
c) With the text cursor in that window at the point where you want
   to insert the copy, simply click the middle mouse button. Then
   it should go in.[2]

Notes:
1: The act of "highlighting" the block with the mouse as in (a)
   enters the blocked text into the "paste buffer" -- you don't
   need to do anything else. The middle button then pastes it.
2: These days, 2-button mice are rare; but if you have one, you
   should configure it (in the X configuration setup) to "emulate
   3 buttons". This then means that pressing both left and right
   buttons together (best done by prssing Left, holding it down,
   then pressing Right without releasing Left) has the same effect
   as pressing the Middle button (which you don't have).
3: Whether left-clicking on a text-entry window will move the
   text cursor in that window to the position of the mouse pointer
   depends on which application is running. In a normal xterm,
   running an editor such as vim, or running the R command line,
   it won't. In a graphical text editor such as gedit, which is
   what you get in Gnome from
     Applications --> Accessories --> Text Editor,
   then it will.

There are a lot of ways in which efficient use of Linux will
differ in detail from what you're used to on Windows, and it's
wise to try to get used to them. In the long run, you won't regret it!

Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 06-Jul-08                                       Time: 21:56:50