[R-sig-Debian] [R] Installing R on ubuntu dapper

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jan 7 15:07:42 CET 2008

Hadley,

I am moving this to r-sig-debian, and I encourage you to subscribe there. [ If
you do not subscribe, your mails will bounce. You are of course free to
contact us off-list too. ]

On 6 January 2008 at 21:27, hadley wickham wrote:
| I followed the instructions at
| http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README.html, but I'm
| getting the following error:
|
| ~: sudo apt-get install r-base
| Reading package lists... Done
| Building dependency tree... Done
| Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
| requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
| distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
| or been moved out of Incoming.
|
| Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
| the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
| that package should be filed.
| The following information may help to resolve the situation:
|
| The following packages have unmet dependencies:
|   r-base: Depends: r-base-core (>= 2.6.1-1dapper0) but it is not installable
|           Depends: r-recommended (= 2.6.1-1dapper0) but it is not
| going to be installed
| E: Broken packages

Not enough information here. It could simply be something else that is not R
related.

What happens when you do

	sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

ie I'd like to start from a clean slate.  You could well have something add
odds here.

After that, try just the main R package to see what Depends: are claiming to

	sudo apt-get install r-base-core

and let us know what the errors are.

Hth, Dirk