[R-sig-Debian] tcltk

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Dec 30 16:28:08 CET 2008

On 30 December 2008 at 10:02, Paul Gilbert wrote:
| > Did you build R by hand?
|
| Yes, I built from the tarball (./configure ; make ).
|
| To answer my own question, building requires the header files in tcl-dev
| and tk-dev.  The fact that they were missing was buried in the output of
|   configure.  Perhaps tcl-dev and tk-dev should be dependencies in
| r-base-dev? (Or perhaps they are and it is still just me getting an old
| version.)

No, sorry. As I said just yesterday, the purpose of r-base-dev is to
facilitate use of installed.packages() once R is up, and not for building R.

What you are after is provided (correctly) by Build-Depends: in the r-base
package.

You could

  a) either just install the r-base binaries as I suggested yesterday

  b) or at least take advantage of the Build-Deps via
       sudo apt-get build-dep r-base

I am sorry if this is still confusing. We would all appreciate patches to the
README files if you can find a way to express this more clearly.

Hope this helps, Dirk