[R-sig-Debian] update.packages() for R 2.7.1: mgcv fails

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Tue Dec 9 20:38:26 CET 2008

Hi Dirk, hi Michael,

* Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> [081209 19:00]:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On 9 December 2008 at 10:33, Michael Friendly wrote:
> | Hi
> | I just upgraded my debian/stable to R 2.7.1 via apt-get install r-base
> | r-base-core r-base-dev, and then
>
> Did you get them from Debian, or from CRAN ?  I presume it is CRAN?
>
> | began to update.packages()
> |
> |  > update.packages(lib.loc="/usr/local/lib/R/site-library")
> |  > update.packages(lib.loc="/usr/lib/R/library")

The latter location is used for the packages installed by the Debian
package system (please correct me if I am wrong, Dirk). I think it would
be preferable to keep them in sync with the Debian repository you are
using for your R packages (seems to be CRAN).

Since you upgraded r-base, too, you should have gotten the current mgcv
package from CRAN as well, since r-base depends in r-recommended, which
in turn pulls r-cran-mgcv. In case you don't need the very latest
version of the mgcv package, I would not bother to upgrade the packages
in /usr/lib/R/library.

Just my 2 cents,

Johannes