[R-sig-Debian] Problem loading Matrix package in Ubuntu R 2.8.0

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Dec 5 22:17:21 CET 2008

Niall,

On 5 December 2008 at 16:00, Niall Bolger wrote:
| Dear Michael:
|
| Your suggestion worked. I used install.packages("Matrix"), picked a mirror
| in Zurich, Switzerland, and after a lot of copying and organizing, R
| reported having a working version of Matrix.  My version is now 0.999375-16,
| not 0.999375-3. By the way, the old mirror I was using was stat.cmu.edu.

Good, but there are still a couple of problems:

a) you never told us which architecture (x86 or amd64) you use

b) you never told us which Ubuntu release you are using

c) you misunderstood what Michael suggestion: CRAN has _binary .deb_ packages
you install via apt.get, not from inside R using install.packages()

That's all moot for now as your immediate issue has been resolved, but keep
in mind that a) and b) help us in helping you.

Lastly, I think the CMU mirror is often sick. I use the US one
  deb http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu intrepid/
which resolves to the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle.

Cheers, Dirk