[R-sig-Debian] multiple versions on ubuntu

Jeff jgove at gis.net
Fri Aug 15 16:16:21 CEST 2008

I am new to ubuntu, but have used R for years on Fedora. I have a simple
question that I do not quite understand. I first installed R from the
ubuntu repository (2.6.2 I believe it was--whatever is current there)
before finding the debian/ubuntu SIG here when searching for R 2.7.1.
Subsequently I upgraded to 2.7.1 using the instructions at
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/. I am using Hardy on an
amd64 platform. I did both installations with synaptic.

The question I have is why I end up with what appears to be two
installation of R? I first noticed this when I looked at the package
list and there were two sets of documentation for all of the packages;
i.e., in /usr/lib/R/library and /usr/lib64/R/library. Checking these
directories on disk shows what appears to be full mirror installations.
In addition, running the little script to check for multiple packages at
the R wiki for debian returns...

 Warning: you have multiple copies of the following packages:
           Package      LibPath                Version
base       "base"       "/usr/lib/R/library"   "2.7.1"
base       "base"       "/usr/lib64/R/library" "2.7.1"
boot       "boot"       "/usr/lib/R/library"   "1.2-33"
boot       "boot"       "/usr/lib64/R/library" "1.2-33"
... etc.

At first I thought that synaptic had left the earlier version on, but
this obviously shows that there are two sets of the same packages. This
does not happen on my fedora 64 installation. Also, FWIW...

 R.version
               _
platform       x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
arch           x86_64
os             linux-gnu
system         x86_64, linux-gnu
status
major          2
minor          7.1
year           2008
month          06
day            23
svn rev        45970
language       R
version.string R version 2.7.1 (2008-06-23)

Any thoughts?

Many thanks, sorry for such a simple question. I admit to being on the
learning curve for unbuntu, and am more used to fedora/yum for
installations.

Sincerely,

Jeff Gove