[R-sig-Debian] Conflict between octave3.0-headers and r-base-dev

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Wed Aug 13 06:27:04 CEST 2008

Le mar. 12 août à 14:44, Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :

> Gad,
>
> Thanks for the bug report and for using the appropriate list for it.
>
> On 12 August 2008 at 14:31, Gad Abraham wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | I'm using Ubuntu Hardy i386, and the R 2.7.1 Ubuntu packages from
> CRAN.
> |
> | The CRAN r-base-dev package depends on refblas3-dev or atlas3-base-
> dev,
> | but octave3.0-headers depends on libblas-dev. The two blas
> packages seem
> | to conflict, so r-base-dev and octave3.0-headers can't be installed
> | together.
> |
> | Is this a known issue?
>
> Maybe not, and looks like the Depends for r-base-dev need to be
> updated to
> reflect the newer library names.  Unfortunately, 'everybody' is at
> Dortmund
> this week for UseR but I already mentioned this to Vincent.
>
> On Debian we have 'libblas-dev | libatlas-base-dev, liblapack-dev |
> libatlas-base-dev' but that, I think, wasn't possible for Vincent
> and Ubuntu as the
> newer atlas/blas packages had not yet migrated.  I think he can
> simply stop
> changed 'down' to the older refblas choice.

[Note: I already had this discussion in person with Dirk, but we'll do
as if not for the purpose of the list.]

I'm puzzled here. In the comments of my build script I specifically
mention that the libblas-dev and liblapack-dev backports are required
for Ubuntu releases <= Hardy, which I assume meant that I checked it
was actually needed back in April (when Hardy was released). In any
case, it looks like I goofed here.

I did build a version of 2.7.1-2 successfully without the said
backports. However, I am reluctant to put it on CRAN for now for two
main reasons: 1) it's not really tested; and 2) it doesn't appear to
be an important update for most people. Oh, and 3) 2.7.2 is due out in
about two weeks.

What you can do, Gad, is to first install libblas-dev and liblapack-
dev on you system (this should remove a number of other packages,
including R) and then install the .deb packages located here:

	http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/pub/R/bin/linux/hardy-test/

Fetch all the files in the above directory and manually install with

	sudo dpkg -i *.deb

(Assuming the downloaded files are the only .deb files in your current
directory, of course.)

Play a little bit with all this and *please* report if everything is
working as expected or not.

Cheers from Dortmund,

Vincent