[R-sig-Debian] trouble installing building packages from source using R 2.6.0 on Ubuntu Gutsy AMD64

Mark W Kimpel mwkimpel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 03:58:30 CET 2007

Hugh,

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go the route of using source debian
packages this time around. Below is the basic script I used, adapted
from the other replies I received. This was successful in getting the
base R installed as well as an addition ~275 packages from CRAN,
Omegahat, and BioConductor.

Unfortunately, I have not yet had luck with the following packages:
  [1] "affycoretools" "AnnBuilder"    "biocViews"     "biomaRt"
  [5] "GSEABase"      "odfWeave"      "RCurl"         "Resourcerer"
  [9] "Rgraphviz"     "RSPerl"        "RSPython"      "SBMLR"
[13] "TMat"          "XML"
Some of which may depend on one another. In particular, I get errors
from both curl and graphviz, I suspect a version problem as they are
both on my PATH. I am going to work on them some more tomorrow and may
be posting more specific error messages if I cannot get the problems
fixed myself.

The script below is what I believe I did, but this was not done on a
virgin Ubuntu install as I have been futzing with this for a day or so.
I am also not absolutely sure I have included every necessary step nor
perhaps included some un-necessary ones. I am brand new to Debian/Ubuntu
and just learning about the apt/synaptic system.

If Johannes, Vincent, or Dirk could comment on what I did below, it
would be helpful to me and perhaps other Debian newbies.

Thanks again to all,
Mark

#Making R and BioC on Ubuntu Gutsy with AMD64-bit OS

#Add this to /etc/apt/sources.list and update apt
deb-src http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian etch/
apt-get update

#make a directory for deb source files
mkdir /home/USER/r-2.6.0-deb
cd /home/USER/r-2.6.0-deb

#get the source files and unpack them
sudo apt-get source r-base
sudo dpkg-source -x r-base_2.6.0-1~etchcran.1.dsc

#cd into r-base-VERSION
cd r-base-2.6.0

#compile the package, this may be un-necessary, but I did it
sudo dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b

#get some libraries need for building R
apt-get install build-essential # fail and will produce a suggestion to
do the following command, DO IT
apt-get -f install

#install the package from .deb
sudo dpkg -i ../r-base-core_2.6.0-1~etchcran.1_amd64.deb

## to get rgl to install into R with Ubuntu Gutsy AMD64
apt-get install freeglut3 freeglut3-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev
libice-dev libsm-dev libx11-dev libxau-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev
libxt-dev mesa-common-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-input-dev
x11proto-kb-dev x11proto-xext-dev xlibmesa-gl-dev xtrans-dev

#Now replace i686 site-library with an empty one for new packages
cd R_HOME #if not made, make it
mv site-library site-library-i686 #if you have an old site-library you
want to save
mkdir site-library

#if have packages in old library that you want installed in new one
cd site-library-i686
ls > ../my.packages.txt

#to .Rprofile add at beginning:
.libPaths(new= "~/R_HOME/site-library") #tell R where site-library is

export PATH:$PATH:/usr

#Start R
#install.packages from appropriate repositories, may read in old package
# names from old library using:
packages.to.install <- read.delim("~/R_HOME/my.packages.txt", as.is =
TRUE)[,1]
source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite(packages.to.install)
my.new.packages <- c( dir("~/R_HOME/site-library"),
dir("/usr/lib/R/library"))
yet.to.install <- setdiff(packages,my.new.packages)
biocLite(yet.to.install, dependencies = TRUE)

Mark W. Kimpel MD  ** Neuroinformatics ** Dept. of Psychiatry
Indiana University School of Medicine

15032 Hunter Court, Westfield, IN  46074

(317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile & VoiceMail
(317) 204-4202 Home (no voice mail please)

mwkimpel<at>gmail<dot>com