[R-sig-Debian] warning with install.packages()

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Dec 5 21:04:13 CET 2007

Hi,

I'm running R 2.5.1 on Debian Lenny. I'm the only user on a laptop, so
I gave myself permission to write to /usr/local/lib/R/site-library. I
can install packages without trouble using install.packages(), but I
get the following warning:

Warning message:
cannot create HTML package index in: tools:::unix.packages.html(.Library)

Is this something I should be concerned about?

On a related note, is there any reason to choose install.packages()
rather than apt-get for installing packages that are available from
the debian repositories?

Thanks,

Tyler

                                       --Wernher von Braun