[R-sig-Debian] installing/updating R packages: apt-get vs. install.packages() and .libPaths()

Gregor Gorjanc gregor.gorjanc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 08:56:13 CET 2006

Hello!

Dirk has provided a nice solution for a user to install R packages via R
tools in /usr/local/...

> In fact, I just did that.  You may need ii) and iii) with an added -R
> so that
> you are allowed to overwrite previously installed versions, if any:
>
> iv)  chgrp -R adm /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/
> v)   chmod -R g+w /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/

This works almost smoothly. I can install and update packages, but I
repeatedly get the following error

  write.fwf                         text    html    latex   example
** building package indices ...
* DONE (ggmisc)
chmod: changing permissions of `/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/R.css':
Operation not permitted

I can not update permissions for that file? Why is this so? Here is an
output of ls -l for mentioned file and one map. However permissions for
a file R.css are the same as for files in maps, say RColorBrewer in this
case

drwxrwsr-x   9 root    adm 4096 2006-03-06 16:09 RColorBrewer
-rw-rw-r--   1 root    adm  608 2006-03-15 08:49 R.css

Any clues?

Greggor