[R-sig-Debian] annoying warnings in ESS/Emacs

Sebastian Luque spluque at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 05:59:52 CEST 2006

Simon Blomberg <blomsp at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

[...]

> This only occurs in GNU Emacs, not when running R from bash, and not
> with Xemacs. It started happening when I updated R and a lot of packages
> to 2.3.1. I checked the archives and found this message:
> http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/devel/06/05/5278.html.

Currently, I'm getting the following at startup in my system, whether from
Emacs/ESS or a console:

---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
During startup - Warning message:
use of NULL environment is deprecated
R> if(!exists("baseenv", mode="function")) baseenv <- function() NULL
options(STERM='iESS', editor='emacsclient')
R> R> sessionInfo()
Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
i486-pc-linux-gnu

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
[7] "base"

other attached packages:
   chron  gmodels  lattice
 "2.3-3" "2.12.0" "0.13-8"
---<---------------cut here---------------end---------------->---

Of the packages showing as attached, only chron is installed in a local
library.  I've narrowed down the culprit of the warning at startup to
gmodels, which I've gotten from r-cran-gmodels, from the unstable
distribution.  From reading this thread, and the one Simon refers to, is
it right to say that there's not much we (as users) can do until the
gmodels package maintainer replaces use of the NULL environment in the
source?  Likewise for other Debian R packages generating the warning when

Cheers,

--
Seb