[R-sig-Debian] annoying warnings in ESS/Emacs

Simon Blomberg blomsp at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jun 15 06:51:55 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is an R problem, a Debian problem, a GNU Emacs
problem or an ESS problem. I get the following warning the first time I
call help on a command in a session, for example:

 > ?sessionInfo
Warning message:
use of NULL environment is deprecated

This only occurs in GNU Emacs, not when running R from bash, and not
with Xemacs. It started happening when I updated R and a lot of packages
to 2.3.1. I checked the archives and found this message:
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/devel/06/05/5278.html. My packages are
all up-to-date. I tried manually removing a package and re-installing it
using install.packages. The install went OK, but it had no effect (the
warning still appeared). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running the Quantian distro inside a VMware virtual machine, on a
Windows XP Pro host.

Thanks,

Simon.

 > sessionInfo()
Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
i386-pc-linux-gnu

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
[7] "base"

--
Simon Blomberg, B.Sc.(Hons.), Ph.D, M.App.Stat.
Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies