[R-sig-Debian] building from source after installing Debian packages

Egon Willighagen e.willighagen at science.ru.nl
Tue May 10 14:10:47 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 01:54 pm, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 May 2005 03:15, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> I signed (rdiaz-guest) and was looking around. I could not find the code
> for building packages (it seems there are no files for the pkg-bioc project
> which I can access from alioth); is this the Perl script you mention and
> Egon refers to in his message today to the pkg-bioc-devel list?

$ cat tools/CVS/Root
:ext:egonw-guest at cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/pkg-bioc

So do,

cvs -d:ext:rdiaz-guest at cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/pkg-bioc co tools

> In addition, a couple of questions: to prevent accidentally building
> packages which might use Goto's BLAS I assume all package building should
> be done against a non-Goto's version?.

We could try... in general, if Debian cannot fullfil a dependency, it's marked
as cannot build in the Perl build script.

> Finally, I know no Perl at all (=
> even surrounded by bioinformaticians I've resisted heroically all efforts
> to coax me to learn Perl), but I assume that should be no problem, at least
> in terms of checking that things work, etc.

:)

The script is pretty well documented, and Perl is not difficult.

Egon