[R-sig-Debian] Having problems with quantreg

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Feb 22 14:16:08 CET 2005

On 21 February 2005 at 22:42, mark engle wrote:
| Hi All,
|      I'm still having significantly difficulty getting the quantreg library
| running in R.  I'm running R on MEPIS using the debs created by Dirk
| Eddelbuettel and placed in apt testing.  When I try to install quantreg using
| the install.packages() function it fails with:  /usr/bin/ld: cannot find
| -lblas-3
|
| Dirk was nice enough to send me a .deb for quantreg which installs without
| error.  However, when I try to run the rq command after entering
| library(quantreg), I get: Error: Object "rq" not found
|
| I've tried reinstalling atlas3-base (as Douglas Bates suggested), every R
| package on my machine and ripping out every config file I can find and
| re-installing to no avail.    I am a true beginner at R and could certainly
| be doing something or just be missing a package.  If anyone has anymore
| ideas, I'd love to hear them.  Thanks for the help.

i)   I know little about MEPIS, and in particular R on MEPIS. Take everything
     with a grain of salt, and if in doubt, test on a proper Debian machine.
     Try to find one somewhere at nevada.edu. It will easier for us to get it
     to work there -- and let's then try to apply what we learned on your
     MEPIS box.

ii)  The (autogenerated) quantreg package I sent you has Depends as follows:

edd at chibud:~> dpkg -f src/progs/perl/cran2deb/builds/r-cran-quantreg_3.50-0.r2d.1_i386.deb
Package: r-cran-quantreg
Version: 3.50-0.r2d.1
Section: math
 Quantile  regression and related methods.
 .
 Author(s): Roger Koenker <rkoenker at uiuc.edu>
 Initial R port from Splus by Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>
 Date:
 .

     Notice how it says "atlas3-base | refblas3 | libblas.so.3"  What you
     need is a concrete package that provides the virtual package
     libblas.so.3.

     You tried atlas3-base, and it didn't work.  The next thing to try would
     be refblas3. Install that and see what it does.

     Afterwards there are the others:

edd at chibud:~> apt-cache showpkg libblas.so.3
Package: libblas.so.3
Versions:

Reverse Depends:
  r-cran-matrix,libblas.so.3
  r-cran-rscalapack,libblas.so.3
[...]
Dependencies:
Provides:
Reverse Provides:
refblas3 1.2-6
atlas3-sse2 3.6.0-19
atlas3-sse 3.6.0-19
atlas3-base 3.6.0-19
atlas3-3dnow 3.6.0-19
edd at chibud:~>

     Anyone of those after the "Reverse Provides" will do, but the
     hardware-optimised ones (atlas3-sse2, -sse2, -3dnow) only makes
     sense on the matching hardware.

Hope this helps, Dirk

| -Mark
|
| engle at unr dot nevada dot edu

Better to have an approximate answer to the right question than a precise
answer to the wrong question.  --  John Tukey as quoted by John Chambers