[R-sig-Debian] "Debain" way of installing packages

Gorjanc Gregor Gregor.Gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si
Tue Apr 26 12:11:24 CEST 2005

Hello!

Sorry for late response. I just had to check all this allioth stuf etc.

[... snip ...]

> As Tony said in his follow-up, the mixing and matching is hard to do
Yes, mixing is hard and confusing.

> properly, which is why I think the high-end solution is to provide a robust
> script, maybe with a db backend, that debianises what is on CRAN -- similar
What do you mean by a db (I suppose databse) backend, that debianises ...?

If I understand you propose to debianize all R packages and then simply use
apt-get. This would probably be the easisest way, however only if this is really
achivable. My help on debianization can be very small since I have never tried
to do that, but I am willing to learn and help.

If previous is true, you think that some sort script I proposed is not OK for
mixing?

> to what exists on Windows. We'd simply use apt-get instead of
What is the case with Windows? Do you mean build of binary packages for Windows
or what?

> | One more thing. Why is r-noncran-lindsey and not r-other-lindsey?

> Because nobody pressed Chris hard enough to implement the change. I am sure
> he would take a patch from you (hint, hint).
>From words of Chris this doesn't seems to be needed, however I don't know what is
the problem with that package from Lindsey.

Gregor