[R-sig-Debian] Re: [R] Upgrading R

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Apr 25 10:20:01 CEST 2005

Gorjanc Gregor wrote:

> Hello!
>
> New version of R has came out and I would like to thank to all developers
> on this matter. So I should probably upgrade. Fine and no problem. For
> windows I just grab the latest precompiled binnaries and install them. Then
> I see a report on a bug, which is or will be fixed in pacthed version. So
> I need to get binnaries from patched build and install them, right?
>
> How often do you people upgrade R on windows? For every patch? I know that
> it depends on the bug, but I would just like to hear what are your habits.

The binaries on CRAN are updated by Duncan Murdoch frequently. Of
course, you can get the sources at arbitrary time and compile yourself
hourly, if you prefer. ;-)

You have to distinguish official releases and patched versions.

For official releases:
Form the developer page: "The general schedule is to have major releases
(x.y.0) biannually".
During the last few years, each major release was followed by one minor
(bug-fix) release after roughly one month.

Uwe Ligges