[R-sig-DB] DBI documentation

Paul Gilbert pg||bert902 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jun 29 16:59:36 CEST 2015

Hadley

?dbConnect says

      drv: an object that inherits from ‘DBIDriver’, or a character
           string specifying the name of DBMS driver, e.g., "RSQLite",
           "RMySQL", "RPostgreSQL", or an existing ‘DBIConnection’
           object (in order to clone an existing connection).

and further down

      manner. For instance ‘dbConnect("MySQL")’ produces an object of

The inconsistency, "RMySQL" vs "MySQL", has probably existed for a long
time, but I seem to recall that the character specifications no longer
work. Certainly they are no longer the preferred approach. Am I wrong on
that?

?dbConnect also says

      ...: authorization arguments needed by the DBMS instance; these
           typically include ‘user’, ‘password’, ‘dbname’, ‘host’,
           ‘port’, etc.  For details see the appropriate ‘DBIDriver’.

I am trying to find details for the MySQL driver and it is less than
obvious where that would be. (Trying to verify if the complete argument
name is "user" or "username" for MySQL.) Could "For details see the
appropriate ‘DBIDriver’" be expanded? It is not really even obvious how
to print out the correct function to get this information from the code.

Thanks,
Paul