[R-sig-DB] Parameterised queries

Paul Gilbert pg||bert902 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Feb 13 23:53:28 CET 2015

(Possibly naive question.)

>The reason inserts are slow...

I've now seen this stated a few times on this thread and I don't fully
understand the context everyone seems to be assuming. With a Perl client
I can insert multiple records with a single insert command, over a
network, and it seems to be nearly as fast as loading with the batch
utility locally on the server. As I recall, I had to block less that
10,000 records or something choked, but multiple blocks loaded a fairly
large database reasonably quickly. (I'm travelling and cannot verify
this number at the moment.) It is import to load before specifying
indexes, otherwise the index gets recalculated with each insert.

When people say inserts  are slow:

-Is this an R specific problem?
-Is it assumed indexes are already specified?
-Or am I missing something else once again?

Thanks,
Paul