[R-sig-DB] Add a "dbSendUpdate" function to DBI?

MacQueen, Don m@cqueen1 @end|ng |rom ||n|@gov
Wed Sep 3 22:59:02 CEST 2014

Hadley,

Since you mentioned DBI 0.3 in a recent email, could I make a request to add a dbSendUpdate() function to DBI, like the one in RJDBC?

require(RJDBC)

> find('dbSendQuery')
[1] "package:RJDBC" "package:DBI"

> find('dbSendUpdate')
[1] "package:RJDBC"

And from ?dbSendUpdate

  'dbSendQuery' and 'dbSendUpdate' submit a SQL query to the
  database. The difference between the two is only that
  'dbSendUpdate' is used with DBML queries and thus doesn't return
  any result set.

I would find this helpful, because I could then use scripts unmodified with either ROracle or RJDBC.
(I suppose adding it to DBI would mean that the one in RJDBC would have to be modified.)

I have:

Package Version
  "DBI" "0.3.0"

Package Version