[R-sig-DB] Fwd: Path to .my.cf configuration file in dbconnect() ?

Joël Obrecht SPIRAL joe|@obrecht @end|ng |rom w|k|@p|r@|@org
Fri Aug 1 11:02:58 CEST 2014

Dear all,

We are currently implementing in our web application wikispiral.org the
possibility to use direct connection to the database in scripts that are
written by the users directly in the website, a wiki. In this regard we
need a way to specify to dbConnect() the path where the configuration file .
my.cf is located.

Context :

We run R scripts in a plugin, R : https://doc.tiki.org/PluginR which
enables us to run R scripts in our CMS, tikiwiki <http://info.tiki.org>. We
built a website, wikispiral.org, that stores in its database
<https://doc.tiki.org/Trackers> data about well-being / ill-being surveys
and use the opportunity of the wiki to give the citizens direct ouptut from
their data so they can decide for community-based actions. We have in this
regard automated R scripts that provide statistics and we would like to use
direct connection to database for more advanced uses.

See this page to browse our results :
https://wikispiral.org/tiki-index.php?page=Territories+of+coresponsibility

We located in the home dir of the website the files needed and it works for
scripts run in bash, but when we use the exact same scripts that work in
bash, here in the scripts in the wiki, the connection to the database is
not made. I suppose this is a matter of finding o proper path and in this
regard I would like to ask you if we can specify a path to the conf file in
the dbconnect() call, or if we may copy our config file in other
directories so that R scripts can find it.

We do not want to disclose the password to our database as it is quite
important information.

Please if you would be so kind to help us with this issue, we would like to
publish a test site to show how users can store in tikiwiki databases data
and use then R directly in the website to build stats directly.

Best regards,

Jo�l Obrecht
Administrateur web
*wikispiral.org <http://wikispiral.org>*