[R-sig-DB] RFI on changing behavior in next RMySQL release

Wed Feb 5 18:26:19 CET 2014

Hi Tomoaki,

On 5 February 2014 at 11:51, NISHIYAMA Tomoaki wrote:
| Hi Jeff,
|
| I think A or B is preferred.
| Cloning feature is of little benefit with large undesired feature.
| When cloning occurs, the transaction state becomes independent, and
| any change made at the other connection may not be visible to the other connection.
| Doing such thing in a hidden scene should be best avoided.
|
| In RPostgreSQL, I removed the connection cloning about 2 years ago, which perhaps inherited from RMySQL.
| http://code.google.com/p/rpostgresql/source/diff?spec=svn230&r=230&format=side&path=/trunk/RPostgreSQL/R/PostgreSQLSupport.R

Good move, and the guilty party is me as I mentored Sameer for the GSoC /
RPostgreSQL project with RMySQL as a shining example of how to do DBI :)

Luckily we now have you, and all DBI packages could do a lot worse than to
study what you have done to enhance and improve RPostgreSQL. It's a marvel.

Thanks for all your work on this.

Dirk

Dirk Eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org | http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com