[R-sig-DB] ODBC driver in ubuntu

Lee Hachadoorian Lee@H@ch@door|@n+L @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Oct 30 16:32:47 CET 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Luis Ridao <luridao using gmail.com> wrote:

> You mean:
>
> > channel <- odbcConnect(dsn='BASTA', uid='*****', pwd='********')
>
> Warning messages:
> 1: In odbcDriverConnect("DSN=BASTA;UID=luisr;PWD=juanayzakarias") :
>   [RODBC] ERROR: state IM002, code 0, message [unixODBC][Driver
> Manager]Data source name not found, and no default driver specified
> 2: In odbcDriverConnect("DSN=BASTA;UID=luisr;PWD=juanayzakarias") :
>   ODBC connection failed
>
> or in the odbc.ini file:
> /etc$ sudo gedit odbc.ini
>
> [oracle_driver]
> driver        = OracleODBC-11g
> description        = Oracle_ODBC_driver
> server        = BASTA
> port        = 1521
> sid        = 192.168.20.10
> user        = ********
> password        = *********
> logging        = No
> logfile        =
> enable_user_catalog        = yes
> enable_synonyms        = yes
> metadata_dont_change_case        = no
> metadata_dont_do_schema        = no
> metadata_id        = no
> limit_long        = 0
>
> It keeps on failing
>
> Best,
> Luis

Luis,

The name between the braces in odbc.ini is the DSN. You have named the DSN
oracle_driver, not BASTA. So either rename it in odbc.ini, or refer to it
as oracle_driver in the odbcConnect() call.

Also, I'm not really familiar with Oracle, but I can't seem to find any
information on the sid parameter you have set in the ini. The examples I
see use server, servername, and/or database. See
http://www.almahdi.cc/linux/setup-unixodbc-on-linux-for-oracle-and-sybase/.

Best,
--Lee