[R-sig-DB] [RODBC] Error (ORA-12560 ) when trying to connect to Oracle database

Daniel Reis D@n|e|_Re|@ @end|ng |rom c@rg|||@com
Thu Jul 11 21:29:16 CEST 2013

Hello,

I installed the Oracle 11g client on my machine, and tested the
connection to my target Oracle database through MS Access. All seems to
be working fine.

When I try to connect to the very same DB using R with:

channel <- odbcConnect(dsn="MyDSN", uid="XXXXX", pwd="XXXXXXXX",
believeNRows=FALSE)

I get the following error:

In odbcDriverConnect("DSN=MyDSN;UID=XXXX;PWD=XXX",  :

[RODBC] ERROR: state HY000, code 12560, message
[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

Am I missing the installation of some component/driver? I read something
about installing the Oracle Instant Client (free) but thought the Oracle
11g client would be sufficient. What am I missing?

Dan