[R-sig-DB] GSoC R project (Port pymssql core to R)

Tue Apr 23 15:22:40 CEST 2013

Hi Taras,

On 23 April 2013 at 16:05, Taras Murzhiev wrote:
| Hi Dirk,
|
| My name is Taras Murzhiev, I am a last-year student from Ukraine and want to
| participate in Google Summer of Code this year.
| I have experience in programming (C++, Python, less Matlab and R) and math with

For this project, you may to look a little at the R packages (all on CRAN)

    DBI	 	  -- generic database interface

    RSQLite	  -- use DBI to access SQLite
    RMySQL	  --  "   "   "    "   MySQL
    RPostgreSQL   --  "   "   "    "   PostgreSQL
    ROracle       --  "   "   "    "   Oracle

depending on what backend you have. SQLite does NOT need a server and is
easiest to get going.

| theory background.
|
| I'm interested in working on project 'Port pymssql core to R and DBI as
| RMSSql' that you proposed on GSoC R wiki page.
| It would be very pleasant if you could briefly describe main goals, expectation
| and usage aspect of this project and your vision of techical side and
| implementation details that give me ability to go forward.

Simple goal:  Extend this to access Microsoft SQL Server which continues to
be popular (esp in work places, luckily not mine).  The "pymssql" provides a
working framework, so there is little need for reinvention but some need for
honkering down and doing a quality implementation.

We did the same for RPostgreSQL back in the day -- this was a GSoC project I
mentored a few years ago, and which provided a first bare-bones packages.
Which has since been adopted by a proper maintainer who has made a really
excellent package out of it (and if you use RPostgreSQL you really do owe
Tomoaki for all his work).

I do not have time to mentor you on this, so you'd also need a mentor.

Dirk

(CC to gsoc-r for R/GSoC and r-sig-db to see if someone wants to mentor)

--
Dirk Eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org | http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com