[R-sig-DB] ROracle loads from command line, but not RGUI/RStudio in OSX

Joran Elias jor@n@e||@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Mar 11 21:57:32 CET 2013

> The message indicates DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH problems.
> But:
> - double colons are wrong.
> - /Applications/Oracle would be a very un-Apple layout, and a non-Unix
> location for a library directory.

Yes, I agree. I was having a hard time figuring out where to put everything
such that ROracle would even install without error, and this:

http://stackoverflow.com/q/5550977/324364

was one of the sources that ended up being blended into the solution that
worked for me. With/without the double colons yields the same results.

> But I've never seen Oracle for a Mac, so have no idea what the layout
> is.  The ROracle authors might know (and do read this list).
> In the Terminal, run
> R CMD otool -L
> /Users/joranelias/Library/R/2.15/library/ROracle/libs/x86_64/ROracle.so
> and make sure the directories to Oracle dylibs it mentions are on
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.

This is what I find puzzling. I have done this and added the relevant path
to DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, and it still doesn't work, except when I run R from
the terminal. So something, somewhere must be configured correctly (or at
least just correctly enough), but somehow it's getting lost when I run R in
the GUI or RStudio. I just wish I knew what that missing piece could be. Oh
well.