[R-sig-DB] RODBC connection linux (ubuntu)

Luis Ridao |ur|d@o @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Sep 7 15:26:01 CEST 2012

HI,

i think this problem has come up pretty often on this and other lists
and still have not managed to solved it.

i need to connect to a an Oracle database through R.

I have installed the oracle install client and the package RODBC in R
but still get the same error:

[RODBC] ERROR: state IM002, code 0, message [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data
source name not found, and no default driver specified
2: In odbcDriverConnect("DSN=MAGNUS;UID=my_uid;PWD=my_pwd") :
  ODBC connection failed

/etc/odbc.ini looks like:

odbc.ini
---------------------------------------
[ORACLE_SAMPLE]
driver = Easysoft ODBC-Oracle WP
description = Easysoft Oracle ODBC WP driver
server = oserver
port = 1521
sid = 192.168.20.129/MAGNUS
user = luisr
password =my_pwd
logging = No
logfile =
enable_user_catalog = yes
enable_synonyms = yes
metadata_dont_change_case = no
metadata_dont_do_schema = no
metadata_id = no
limit_long = 0

i know i need another odbcinst.ini file
but i don't know a stanza for it (i actually made the odbc.ini file above
from some other source)

the unixODBC driver is also installed in my linux system

any ideas?

thanks in advance