[R-sig-DB] RODBC Debugging

Christopher A. Simon @|mon@chr|@@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu May 17 22:06:22 CEST 2012

We are trying to attach R to our ODBC driver via RODBC. Unfortunately
we're getting Segmentation faults in odbcConnect (error detailed
below). We would like to attach a debugger to whatever process is
communicating with UnixODBC/our driver, but are not sure where to
start. R itself seems to be a large bash script, ideally we could
inject "gdb --args" before the execution of some process in that
script to get the desired results. Any guidance is much appreciated.

> library(RODBC)
> odbcConnect("sql1010odbc",uid = "uname", pwd = "pword")

 *** caught segfault ***
address 0x100000abb, cause 'memory not mapped'

Traceback:
 1: .Call(C_RODBCDriverConnect, as.character(connection), id,
as.integer(believeNRows))
 2: odbcDriverConnect(st, ...)
 3: odbcConnect("sql1010odbc")

Christopher Alex Simon