[R-sig-DB] RMySQL frustrations

MacQueen, Don m@cqueen1 @end|ng |rom ||n|@gov
Thu May 17 20:23:41 CEST 2012

I'm no expert, but I believe they are designed to pass one SQL expression
at a time to the database.
(this is not the same as "simple, one line queries"; I frequently use
multi-line moderately complex queries with sub-selects and such).

If you are talking about multiple queries of the form

 mydat <-  dbGetQuery(con, "select ... ; select ... ; select ...")

then I would argue this makes no sense to even try. Any R function returns
a only single object, but this would be asking it to return several
objects. Sure, we could ask the people who wrote the package to recognize
such a case, run each query separately, and return a list object
containing their individual results -- but I think that would be asking
too much since it is simple to split such a set of queries into multiple
calls.

If you are talking about multiple "queries" of the form

  dbGetQuery(con, "create table as ... ; create table as ... ; select ...")

that might be a little more reasonable to expect, but even so, it's easy
enough to break this into a sequence of uses of dbSendQuery() followed by
a final dbGetQuery(). I have done this kind of thing. [or dbSendUpdate()
in the case of JDBC]

I'm trying to imagine a use of multiple statements separated by ";" where
it's truly essential that they all be done in a single R command.

-Don

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory