[R-sig-DB] RSQLite "close resultSet before continuing" error in dbBeginTransaction()

Seth Falcon @eth @end|ng |rom u@erpr|m@ry@net
Sat Aug 20 06:14:41 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 2:19 AM, Andrew Piskorski <atp using piskorski.com> wrote:
> Hello, I recently started using RSQLite, version 0.9-4 (2010-11-24),
> with R version 2.12.2 Patched (2011-03-18 r55969), on x86-64.
>
> While running background jobs which insert rows into my SQLite table,
> dbBeginTransaction() sometimes throws this error (see also the stack
> trace further below):

It's pretty hard to provide much guidance without more detail on the
code you are actually running.  Is there any chance you can provide a
reproducible example or show some version of the code you are running?
 If you don't want to share this with the list, you can send it to me
directly.

Can you provide an outline of what you mean by "running background
jobs"?  Do you have more than one process inserting into the same
SQLite database?

> The frustrating thing is that AFAICT I am not using any RSQLite
> functions which return a resultSet!  Also, I have not been able to
> replicate this error interactively, so I'm reduced to guessing what
> might be triggering it.
>
> The only RSQLite functions I ever use anywhere in my code are:
> dbConnect, dbDisconnect, dbGetException, dbListTables, dbGetQuery,
> dbGetPreparedQuery, dbBeginTransaction, dbCommit, and dbRollback .
>
> AFAICT none of those functions ever return a resultSet to the user,
> although some of them probably do manipulate result sets in their
> internal implementations.

> Can anyone suggest what the true cause of this problem might be and
> how I could better debug it?

The behavior as described sounds like you may have found a bug.  It is
difficult to speculate without more detail on how you are running your
code and what your code is doing.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | @sfalcon | http://userprimary.net/