[R-sig-DB] Giving up on RODBC, using RJDBC 0.2 instead

Harlan Harris h@r|@n @end|ng |rom h@rr|@@n@me
Mon May 16 16:30:57 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Just wanted to update folks on my ongoing struggles to connect to Oracle
databases. After trying to deal with several data-corruption and crash bugs,
especially when connecting on 64-bit Linux and Mac OS machines, I must
conclude that RODBC is no longer actively being developed or supported. I've
received several good suggestions from several people on this list, but
nothing from the package author, and I have seen no interest in integrating
my suggested patch for one of my problems. It's too bad that this very
useful package is no longer a viable option for many people.

To the contrary, after seeing someone on twitter note that RJDBC is under
active development again by Simon Urbanek (if you're reading this -- thank
you!), the NULL->NA mapping works, and core code has been rewritten in Java
for speed, I installed the dev version (0.2) and downloaded the JDBC driver
this morning. Pulling data worked the first time.

I would urge anyone dealing with the many issues with RODBC to try using
RJDBC instead.

http://www.rforge.net/RJDBC/news.html
http://twitter.com/#!/michaelv2/status/69403127899619329

 -Harlan