[R-sig-DB] dbWriteTable of RPostgreSQL can't insert data into PostgreSQL Server.

Sun Feb 6 18:58:26 CET 2011

On 6 February 2011 at 12:16, Xiaobo Gu wrote:
| On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 1:33 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:
| >
| > On 5 February 2011 at 23:53, Xiaobo Gu wrote:
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | This problem was reported discussed on May 2010, but it seems it was
| > | not resolved at least in version 0.1.7 of RPostgreSQL.
| > | I have seen the similar problem as reported
| > | by:http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Package-RPostgreSQL-Problem-with-dbWriteTable-td2195653.html#a2221189
| > |
| > | R version 2.12.1 (2010-12-16)
| > | Platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
| > |
| > | locale:
| > | [1] LC_COLLATE=Chinese (Simplified)_People's Republic of China.936
| > | LC_CTYPE=Chinese (Simplified)_People's Republic of China.936
| > | [3] LC_MONETARY=Chinese (Simplified)_People's Republic of China.936
| > | LC_NUMERIC=C
| > | [5] LC_TIME=Chinese (Simplified)_People's Republic of China.936
| > |
| > | attached base packages:
| > | [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
| > |
| > | other attached packages:
| > | [1] RPostgreSQL_0.1-7 DBI_0.2-5
| > | No traceback available
| > |
| > | And I have some more information:
| > |
| > | 1. If there are text data with Chinese character, then data will not
| > | be inserted into database server even there is only one column of the
| > | dataframe.
| > | 2. I can send you the sample data which can't be inserted.
| >
| > There is nothing reproducible here so please do not expect us to do anything
| > meaningful with this report.
| >
| > Moreover, for questions pertaining to RPostgreSQL you should use the
| > project's mailing list:
| >
| >     https://groups.google.com/forum/?pli=1#!forum/rpostgresql-dev
|
| But we can't access google groups in China because of government policies.

Ouch. Sorry about that.  We should consider moving it to an rforge-list.

| > Allow me to reiterate that we run a number of regression tests for the
| > package, including table creation and insertion. Just saying "can't insert
| > data" is not helpful.
|
| In my case the table can be created, but data can't be inserted

We'd still need a little more information to be make this operational and
testable. Only saying "it doesn't work" helps noone.

Dirk

| > Dirk
| >
| > | Regards,
| > |