[R-sig-DB] Installing RMySQL under CentOS 5.5 version of Linux?

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom @tructuremon|tor|ng@com
Sun Nov 7 05:27:53 CET 2010

       Thanks very much to Tomoaki, Dirk, Jeremy, Sean, Jack, and all
who responded to my earlier questions.  I fixed the CentOS problems by
replacing it with Fedora.

       Now I have a different problem:  I'm trying to load just over 35
MB per day, 1 GB per month, into a MySQL database, and the time to load
a file of 5 one-second observation is roughly 0.1*N^(1/6) seconds, where
N = the cumulative number of files loaded to that point.  Since 2^(1/6)
= 1.12, each time the size of the database doubles, the time to load an
observation (or a file) increases by 12 percent.  The load time started
at 90 ms per file.  Now it's closer to 1 second per file.  The size of
the file will double roughly 6 more times before I'm done with this
project, by which time the load time will be closer to 2 seconds per
file -- if something else doesn't break before then.  I don't think the
problem is with R, because I've restarted R several times, and the total
memory in use has not gone much over 400 MB = 12 percent of the 3.2 GB
available on this computer;  it's running nothing else at the moment.

       Is it normal for the load time to increase with the size of the
table like this?  Should I specify an index for each table?  I did not.
I understood from the documentation that it would take the first
variable as the index under certain circumstances.

       Is this peculiar to MySQL?  Might I have the same problem with
postgreSQL?

       What do people usually do to work around problems like this?

       Thanks for your help.
       Best Wishes,
       Spencer