[R-sig-DB] [R] trouble with RODBC -- chopping off part of column names

Mike Williamson th|@@|@@mvw @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Oct 5 00:15:15 CEST 2010

Marc, et. al,

    Below are all of the pertinent version info.  However, I think versions,
etc., are somewhat irrelevant.  Instead, somewhere there must be an
environment variable or something that 'R' is talking to that is forcing the
column name to fit within a set column width, and I need to either blow away
that variable or make it much larger.
    Again, to recap:  if I make SQL queries outside of 'R', I am able to
grab column names properly.  If I make SQL queries *within 'R' and through a
Windows server*, I grab all column names properly.  However, if I make SQL
queries *within 'R' and through the linux/unix server described below*, the
column names are cut off at a fixed length of 30 characters.
    Any advice as to where to look for this environment variable or whatever
setting would help greatly!

                                 Thanks!
                                    Mike

*OS information:
*Linux
2.6.18-8.1.15.el5
#1 SMP Mon Oct 22 08:32:28 EDT 2007
x86_64
x86_64
x86_64
GNU/Linux

*DB info:
*Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio                        10.0.2531.0
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)
6.1.7600.16385
Microsoft MSXML                        3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer                        8.0.7600.16385
Microsoft .NET Framework                        2.0.50727.4952
Operating System                        6.1.7600

*'R' info:
*> R.Version()
$platform
[1] "x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu"

$arch
[1] "x86_64"

$os
[1] "linux-gnu"

$system
[1] "x86_64, linux-gnu"

$status
[1] ""

$major
[1] "2"

$minor
[1] "10.0"

$year
[1] "2009"

$month
[1] "10"

$day
[1] "26"

$`svn rev`
[1] "50208"

$language
[1] "R"

$version.string
[1] "R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26)"

"Telescopes and bathyscaphes and sonar probes of Scottish lakes,
Tacoma Narrows bridge collapse explained with abstract phase-space maps,
Some x-ray slides, a music score, Minard's Napoleanic war:
The most exciting frontier is charting what's already here."
  -- xkcd

--
Help protect Wikipedia. Donate now:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Support_Wikipedia/en