[R-sig-DB] ROracle LD_LIBRARY_PATH issues

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Thu Aug 12 18:56:26 CEST 2010

On Aug 11, 2010, at 10:03 PM, Dave Lubbers wrote:

> linux RHE4
> R-2.7.2
> ORacle 10.2
>
> Added oracle (10.2) to LD_LIBRARY_PATH but still get the same error as the on-line install notes:  undefined symbol sqlclu I think it is.  I did ar -t *.a on all the Oracle archives and only found sqlcluf and sqlclut,  no clu.  Any clues on my problem?

Typically, you would be better off adding the path specifications to /etc/ld.so.conf and then run ldconfig (both as root) to update the environment information. Adding the path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a .bashrc file or similar does not work (in my experience).

R version 2.7.2 is two years old, which is an eternity in R time. The current release version is 2.11.1, which is available via the EPEL yum repos:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

and you should upgrade to see if that resolves anything. If not, then you may be better off directly contacting the package maintainer for focused assistance, albeit it would seem that ROracle has not been updated in almost 3 years...

I found this thread from 2006 that might be helpful:

  http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/help/06/09/1295.html

HTH,

Marc Schwartz